I have several PtP shots that I'd like to do with 802.11a 5.8 GHz Wi-Fi,
but I would like to make sure that I have the necessary fade margins.

For the longer links in which I want to be safe, I was thinking about
putting two 802.11a PtP links and then connecting the two radios on each
side to a switch that supports RSTP and monitors when the link falls down.

Has anyone else tried this?

Also, I'd like to calculate the "9's" reliability of a particular fade
margin (and in this case, the "total" reliability of a system with two
very similar fade margins) but am not sure exactly how to do that.

Any suggestions or pushes in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.