On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Mike Hammett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> They have to be an i series receiver.  There is a plain SD version and an HD
> DVR version.

Ok so the standard internet capable receiver series.

> AFAIK, wireless is not an option.  I don't know the bandwidth per channel (I
> asked, just was never told), but was told it would fit in 100 megabits.  It
> is multicast, so multiple receivers with the same show use the same
> upstream...  stream.

Ive got evil ideas about how to do it. Now ive got some more prodding
about getting to it. Seams like it needs a full gigE feed so that does
wrinkle things, but that would be for the full 500 or so channels
maybe?

> The guy I was working with said they can evaluate the particular project and
> massage it to help it obtain DirecTV's approval.

Mmmm, I wonder if someone just wanted 2 or 3 channels what they would do.

>  The deal with the ROW is
> that DirecTV doesn't want themselves or you to possibly be considered a
> franchise.

That seams reasonable enough, in the old ways of thinking. My
understanding is that anything over the net can not be called a
franchise. I can see how the line becomes blurred when you own the
last mile and the services running on it. Still, I see about a dozen
places I could use this if I can make a business case for it.