From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jp
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:31 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] frequency converters

Most radios have some sort of intermediate frequency; the chips that
process the data don't work at 5.8ghz, etc...  Satellite systems work
much the same way; your 12ghz dish/directtv/fta doesn't work on an rg6
cable at that frequency.

The Alvarion BA-II tower gear has the downconverter electronics in the
outdoor unit. I'm not sure, but I think it was in the 400mhz range that
the DC+RF went to the base. They came with RG58 cables which technically

worked perfect, but were a bit fragile on the ends. We could run lmr400
300+ feet with no problems and use lightning arrestors that support DC
power. That what the system is for; so there would be no serious cable
loss on long runs. Probably most of the coax based split system radio
links work in a similar way. We've had zero problems with the indoor
portions of these systems. If there is lightning damage, it's typically
isolated to the outdoor part. I'd rather lose an outdoor unit than a
whole site's ethernet ports.

I'd tested the ubiquity sr9 cards when they came out; they convert 2.4
to 900. It picked up too much 2.4 interference from other radio cards
for my liking.

--------
> > WISPA Wants You! Join today!
> > http://signup.wispa.org/

--------

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/

--------