From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jp
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:02 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: [WISPA] tower demolition video

We had an old 95' rohn25 tower (probably 100' with 5' in the ground)
that is 50+ years old and we took it down. It came with the site when I
bought it ten years ago. It was quickly reguyed early in my ownership
and had served us well. The old (unused) guys were crusty rusty and
brittle, so I figured the tower wasn't far behind. We'd built a
replacement tower to better serve our needs, and didn't want the old
tower to come down in an inevitable winter/icy storm. We picked a calm
day so wind was not an issue.

We had two people in the woods pulling it where we wanted it to go with
ropes at the 30 and 60' points. We removed the bottom two of three guys,
and cut the top one to make it fall.

I started with thermite (and magnesium fuse) as I didn't want to be near
the guy point when it let go, but I ended up needing to cut through a
turnbuckle with a power tool. The thermite destroyed the terracotta
flower pot it was in and wasn't properly directed onto the anchor.

Just as well. It came down where we wanted it perfectly with no damage
to other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tXQULhaM0

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

----