Butch,

I am not downplaying your response. The problem I am seeing is that my main
competition is two rural cooperatives, the cable comp in my area is virtually
nill. The cable co's are privately owned. I am not sure how they(cooperatives)
are doing it, but they must be getting $$$ to fund their buildouts from
somewhere besides the members? I was serving areas they were not 2 years ago,
but now they are. And they are servicing them not only with DSL but video?

I have to BITCH about the cost of gear, or not compete. I am a mostly Canopy
shop at 900 Mhz, our area is 400 to 500 ft hills every mile or so. So, I have
had to eat much more than most would. In my area, 5.7 will NEVER go beyond 3
miles, if it will work then. They(Co-ops) dropped their price almost in half in
the towns that they cover for 3 MB DSL to $75/mth, I still offer 1.5MB for
$90/mth and have only lost 1 business customer in 2 years. That can show their
service level?

Although my scenario, may sound good, I am fronting all the money on these
Canopy 900 Mhz units. We lease the unit to them included in their monthly cost.
We are still in the red after 3 years. When they(Co-ops, or anyone that owns
the local loop) can buy a Stinger DSL DSLAM (for instance) that will service 24
customers at about $1500, and DSL modems for less than $50/cpe... What is left
for us to compete?

On top of that, they OWN the local loop to here. I have a 2XT1 from AT&T that
2/3rds of the cost of it is local loop (to the local Co-op)at a total cost of
$1379/mth.

So, Yes, although most Wireless MFG's build stuff for the last mile, maybe they
should look at the REAL last mile in BFE, and see what we have to compete
against, if the competition even exist?

Just a side note....the local Co-op requires you to take their landline to get
DSL, we get %95 of our customers who do not want their POS landline and use
their cell phone, but the barriers are still there!

Scottie