John,

If he is connecting to one of his other offices or providers inside of your
network, then you can set up some tunnels to encrypt his data.  If he is
connecting to someone outside of your network, then he has a tunnel from his
endpoint to the other endpoint, and it is encrypted across your network and
also across the Internet.  If he has no Tunnel, then he is in Violation of
HIPAA.  If he has a tunnel, then he does not need any encryption from your
network.  You can transport his tunnel just like the rest of the Internet.
The Internet is not encrypted, and if he is relying on you providing
encryption to the Internet, then he is exposed once he leaves your network.

The Internet is routed, and you can get to any working IP address across the
entire network of networks.  There is no bridging on the Internet.  That is
how your local routed network is accessible.