Mike Hammett wrote:
> Then the whole collocation industry is up poop creek.  Maybe that's why only
> 1 or 2 companies have servers in MT.  :-p

You might be surprised....  I know of at least two multistory buildings
full in Billings....  Hotwire  has a major installation in billings.
KOA is in my Colo room in Helena, along with quite a few other smaller
businesses.   I would suspect we definitely have our fair share
population-wise.

The situation is this:   If I'm a landlord, and I provide the power, I
am a regulated electric provider, unless certain conditions are met.
The two main exceptions are either that I pass the main power bill
directly to the clients on a pro-rata basis, with no meaningful markup
(which wouldn't work, since I also need to recover cooling costs, which
is related to power anyways), OR that I include it in the rent, as rent,
and it doesn't vary based on usage.

We do the latter...  That is, if you buy 1U from space, you get room for
a 1U server, bandwidth, plus power and cooling for a typical 1U
server.   Any monitoring I do is specifically for my own use.   I have a
APC metering pdu in each rack so I can tell at least aggregate how much
is used, and know that I'm not undercharging.   But if I'm charging too
little, I have to increase the rent.

-forrest