I think it is important to note something here.

For all you guys out there that are running their business, or any
business for that matter, an event like this could easily shut down your
business.

Think about the situation at hand. You own a business and a good part of
it revolves around you. You have all those little important things in
your head like passwords, names of contacts for tower sites, phone
numbers in a little book someplace, some notes that have the combination
to the fence to get into the property that has your AP on the roof after
hours, the sketch for the new customers you just put on line is on a
napkin in the center console of your truck, or even something as simple
as the alarm code and password for the office.  Something happens to you
and what happens to your business?  How about your family that depends
on you and the business to stay liquid? An event could easily push many
of us into bankruptcy.

In most instances I am sure that someone weather it be from WISPA or
otherwise could get to your family to help with the business but could
they actually do what is needed without the information we take for
granted every day?

Now is a good time to write it down. You don't need to tell everyone
what the information is you just need to let your spouse or member of
your family know where to find it.

What do you write down?  Well pretend that you are going away on
vacation and a stranger is coming in to run your business. Start with a
daily routine. Unlock the front door. The keys are on my keychain for my
truck. The alarm panel is behind the door. The code is 1 2 3 4 OFF in
that order.  If the alarm should go off just enter the code again. The
alarm company should call. The codename is  "WISPA".  If you have
problems with the alarm call Mike at Alarm Co. Inc.  800-888-8888 is the
number. Turn off the answering machine. Play messages back from the
machine and return calls. Employees come in at 9 am. Their personal
files are in my desk. The keys to my office are on my truck keyring. All
the payroll and billing information for the company is in Quickbooks on
my laptop. The password is "happywisp". The employees names are
...........  Their contact numbers are ........  etc, etc

Make sure to mark down who you feel you can trust to be honest and
helpful within your company in a time of crisis and who may use this
time as a leverage point.

If you have any special arrangements with employees write them down.
Same goes for contact names and numbers of vendors and customers. If
there is someone you feel comfortable running your business then make a
note of that person with contact info.

During a crisis one of the biggest issues is billing, banking and
payroll. If it looks like the event will be short term it may be wise to
have your accountant do the payroll for your company if someone else
doesn't do it. This will ensure privacy and keep the "boat" steady
during the rough seas. This is not the time to have a "He makes how
much???" between employees. Billing procedures are extremely important
especially when to bill, how to bill, how much to bill as well as
collection procedures. Deposits can usually be done by a family member.
Consider having the office mail held at the post office and picked up
there. Don't need anything getting "lost" during this period. Make sure
it is read promptly every day in case any urgent issues should occur.

I could go on and on but I am sure you get the idea. This info could
easily go into a spiral bound notebook and updated every now and then.
Maybe consider making a copy of any important keys or computer files
(book keeping, config files, spreadsheets, Visio's, network maps, etc).
All this material should be kept at your home in a "just in case" file
or box.

We never expect to have anything happen to us. I have been to several
WISPCON's and other events and we are not all walking health freaks by
nature. Think of your family and get this done.  Don't sit in front of
the TV tomorrow night eating potato chips and drinking beer watching the
Simpsons. Do that Wednesday night. Get started on that emergency
recovery book now. If you don't need it...great.  But if you do someone
will be very grateful.

Be safe and healthy. And all my best goes out to Mac and his family.

Bob