I think you'll find the products which are sold as
"inverters" (Xantrex for example) which have built in battery chargers
will have a quicker recharge time because they are engineered for
folks who run a generator for a few hours and then invert off the
batteries the rest of the time. Most battery backup units are
engineered with the idea that grid power will almost always be
available except for a rare occasion so they invest very little in the
battery charger which is typically a very slow trickle charger.

Greg
On Jan 17, 2009, at 1:35 AM, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:

> This freezing fog is very pretty but boy is it making a mess of
> things up here!  Found out that battery backup units die faster than
> they can be charged!
<snip>