> I really don't get the love affair with PPPOE; I assume there's
> something I'm missing, and I've always been curious as to what.

There is a lot of cool things you can do with radius / pppoe systems, change an
IP if they haven't paid which can redirect customers to non-payment portals,
use radius to dole out IP address ranges, authentication, encryption, and
automatic bandwidth rules via MT's.  These are just a few of the cool things
can result with PPPoE / Radius systems.  Like David said all of these things
can be done without PPPoE but it is a lot easier to control the customer from
an external system with these things in place.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Davis, CEO
Maximum Technologies, LLC
Office 318.303.4725