What if WISPA were to secure a grant for say $300,000 as part of the
stimulus package? For that money I would do proper RF mapping as a one shot
deal for every WISP who wanted to in the next year. I would also build a
proper map server with a database that indicates which areas are covered by
which WISP's and web enable the application.

All the RF studies would go in to the National WISP Map (replacing the
circles being used now). The map data would be shared with the USDA and any
other entity charged with giving out loans or money to deploy rural
broadband in areas that are supposedly not served.

WISPA would look good as a unifying organization for the industry.

WISP's would benefit in that they would not have taxpayer funded projects
come in as competitors. They would also have a free source of leads because
this tool would be used by the consumer to look for service.

The consumer would benefit because they would have one place to look for
service for ALL WISP's.

The industry would win because we can do proper demographic studies and
compete against Telco's and Cable Companies in legislative actions.

This would not mean perpetual free mapping for WISP's, just a one time full
network map.

For those WISP's who do not want their network data to be known, you will be
in a much worse position when competition comes in to your market with free
money to build from the taxpayer. Right now the cellular/PCS industry is
grabbing all the money they can claiming they can serve the rural markets
with high speed internet. While they are free to build out, they should not
be getting money under the premise that an area has no broadband if indeed
they do. The only way to stop this is to SHOW the people in the government
areas have broadband!

Thoughts?

Thank You,
Brian Webster