Couple yrs ago I bought a 1988 Jeep Comanche for $100 bucks, and then traded a customer a couple hrs labor for a utility topper with ladder racks.  Drove it for about a yr and only had to work on it for one thing (fuel pump went out 2 times because of grounding issue).  Worked great until the employee blew a stop sign and t boned an suv.  It went end for end and rolled.  Everyone recovered.

Right now I have a 1996 2wd Chevy work truck V6.  Steel rims, bumper, no air, vinyl floor, ect.  Paid $3000 for the truck (100k miles) and $400 for the utility topper (guy said he bought the topper for $2400 2 yrs ago)  We got strap on chains for the Michigan weather and can get out of anything you should have been in in the first place.  In 2 yrs I have changed the oil, done a tune up, replaced alternator ($100), and blower fan ($75).

Lately I have seen 2005 plain jane work trucks for 5k.  90-100k miles.  There are tons of companies who dump their fleet trucks (with utility topper and ladder rack) at 100 k mile.  Just go get one cheap.

I got my last one from 1800lastbid.com
here is one for sale this week.  there are always trucks on there...
http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818081117

2005 4x4 7k  (completed auction jan 15)
http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818074991

2006  4x2 6k  (completed auction jan 15)
http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818075820

Brian

D. Ryan Spott wrote:
4 door Toyota Tacoma 4WD, 6ft bed: City 16/Hwy 20 Hugely expensive @ 28K
new. When you go to buy one, tell them you will wait the 6 weeks it
takes for one with nothing on it (service truck). My dealer rolled over
and sold me a truck with everything on it for the gadget-less price.

I added a ladder rack:
<http://www.kwikstand.info/US%20Rack/Side%20Mount%20Ladder%20Rack/ladder2a.jpg>
I like this one because I can make it disappear when needed.

I also have a RAM mount:
<http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/nodrillbases.htm> for my laptop
so it does not slide through my windshield.

This setup seems to work pretty well for me. Low maintenance, US Built,
good mileage, warm storage/people space in the back seat.

ryan

Josh Luthman wrote:

What does everyone use for a service vehicle?  We have an 1999 f250
that is at the end of it's road.  It has the cabinets and ladder racks
to put al our stuff in.

Our tower climber for those picky tower owners has a brand new Dodge.
If you haven't seen these check them out.  If we could afford these I
wouldn't be asking :(