I understand that Cisco is expensive, but it does work. I have clients
with Cisco Aironet 340's installed that are 7+ years old.
Is it the national pastime to beat on Cisco?

As for antennas, Superpass makes some that might work well for this project

http://www.superpass.com/SP-MIMO-D1J1.html

http://www.superpass.com/MIMO-24.html

http://www.superpass.com/MIMO-5.html

John