That's what the MotoMesh gear is for... the MEA architecture (developed for
the military to connector tanks with helicopters) allows the cop car to be
traveling at 150MPH and for it to still work.  Plus to modems you install in
the cars can mesh with the ones in other cars... so if one car can connect
to the network but another car 1/4 mile down the road can't... it can mesh
through another car to work.

I don't think a municipality/county is going to like deploying a homebrew
solution for something like this... Moto already has the complete turnkey
package available (not that any of it is cheap!)

Daniel White
3-dB Networks
http://www.3dbnetworks.com