The Burlington Northern Railroad is self Insured.
You save millions of $ on insurance premiums but you know for sure
someday there will be a train wreck and people will die.
S0....... You put the money you would have spent on insurance in the
bank and add to it monthly just like paying for insurance. Over time you
have a huge and growing fund that you can borrow from for expansion etc.
You have eliminated the banks interest on capital and in effect you gain
the interest. Plus you sleep well at night knowing if something happens
you can cover it.

The problem is you better hope the $$ grows enough before that big
lightning storm we all know is coming..........