On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 18:57 -0400, Tom DeReggi wrote:
> > Of the tunnels I've done with MT, you just use PPtP and set the MRRU
> > (just like your tunnels).  I've done this with standard Linux, too.  It
> > is actually quite an elegant solution.
>
> Actually I missed this part of your post, before making my last post....
>
> Am I understanding correctly.... Are you saying.....
> When using PPTP and you set the MRRU to the same as your tunnels, both your
> tunnel ethernet packet size can be 1512, while the ethernet packet size for
> data inside the tunnel also can be 1512?  Meaning that PPTP does not
> increase the Ethernet packet size, in order to be implemented?

You can set the MRRU to 65535 if you want.

> (PS, I don't recall the details of PPTP. We generally use IPSEC, OpenVPN,
> VLANs, MPLS, all of which increase ethernet packetsize above 1512, unless IP
> payload MTU is reduced..)

The tunnel itself will be whatever the transport MTU is.  You can even
do (if you desire) a PPtP over OpenVPN to get the added encryption.  For
what it's worth, it is documented:
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3.0/vpn/pptp.php

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *