Jack Unger wrote:
> I respectfully suggest you hire an expert to address this problem.

In light of Jack's comment, I thought I'd share with everyone my
"non-expert" opinion on what the ultimate problem is/was (I was out
there last week):

--poorly placed radios,
--poorly placed antennas, and
--some mysterious boat radar

Without the s-band interference and the boats, there are definitely some
cold spots, but the bands have relatively little interference the vast
majority of the time. A radio higher up hits most of the dock, and a
radio really high up in certain certain areas gives all boats in the
area a fairly okay LOS. (hrping tests at 100ms gave me less than 5%
packet loss at like -65 -> -70 dBm when the radio was about 1000' feet
away high up). Also, you can try to hit the boats from multiple angles,
giving the boats a higher chance of having one or more SSIDs to hit when
one is blocked.

These boats pay anywhere from $6-8/foot, which can amount to $1000-2000
per night.  They expect Internet access (many of the boat owners own
companies like Monster, Y!, Google, etc) and aren't too forgiving. There
have been a few foreign boats that come in and basically excrete on the
2.4 GHz band for everyone.  No one knows who it is until the big boat
leaves, then all the problems magically go away!

Anyway, hope this helps others on the list.  I got bad/stupid/incomplete
information earlier, hence the general n00b-ish feel to my earlier post. :b

If anyone here knows about building stuff on docks in marine
environments, I'd love to talk to you and can probably refer you some
big clients.  (I'll perhaps post that in a different thread)