Jerry Richardson wrote:
> I believe there is still a market for municipal public wifi. I am
> finding the barrier is the cost of the radios at $1k ea minimum for a
> true mesh type dual radio system. Anything lower is cost is not true
> Mesh. Yes, I could put something together using pieces and parts however
> that's a support nightmare waiting to happen.
>
> If you could have a Mesh Radio designed the way you want, what would it
> look like?
>
> My wish would look something like this:
> - Dual radio
> - Client access on 802.11b/g (optional 4.9 model for Public Safety)
> - Mesh on 802.11a (open-mesh?) with DFS on 5.2/5.4

Yep. For me it would be 802.11n for backbone/mesh and client access on
802.11b/g

> - Automatic scan for best channel
> - Multi-SSID (up to 16 SSID/VLAN sets)
> - BW allocation per SSID
> - QoS per VLAN
> - Encryption
> - Client Isolation
> - SNMP v1, v2

DD-WRT or OpenWRT can give you this.

> - Ping watchdog

Not sure what this is? A script that runs on the router and reboots if
it can't ping?

> - Push/Pull config

The PTP guys did something for this with openwrt....
http://www.stephouse.net/files/openwrtprovisioner/openwrtprovisioner.v0.1.tgz

> - NAT/DHCP to clients (running as router)
> - 10/100 Ethernet
> - Outdoor, ready to hang (not a roll-your-own)
> - Browser Configurable
> - POE
> - Tech support from a manufacturer (not third party support/forums/mail
> lists)

So it would seem UBNT gear with an OpenWRT load would do most of what
you want?