I've got a friend who reviews applications on a contract basis for the
federal Dept of Education.  Very common practice when so many
applications come in at once.  Their process is to have three reviewers
look at each application. They average the three scores and then only a
percentage move to the next round. The first review process is typically
looking for T's to be crossed and I's to be dotted ensuring you met all
the requirements of the grant, and then their scoring metric is used.
She told me it's not uncommon for upwards of 50 percent to be dropped
during this round. YMMV.

Dave Hulsebus