>They seem to be actively pursuing it. They provide a lot of hotspots at
>places like starbucks and allow DSL users to connect for free. SBC has
>been doing it for some time, and now Verizon is as well.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean they'll realize its profitable to continue to
doing it.

OK, Let me give you an example.... of today....

Customer A calls in a support ticket for poor performance. (all business
subs, with SLAs)
PTMP CustomerA and C show intererence.  To resolve had to install a PTP to
Customer B (located 10 miles away.), so I was then able to change channels
and repoint successfully, without harming Custoemr B that had different
client side channel noise issues.  As well, had to change channels around on
3 sectors until I got the Customer A to beable to survive the noise.  I was
able to do the channels changes because I had intiment knowledge of exactly
where each customer was on each of the three sectors and would know whether
I would interefere with all the sectors on my adjacenet two cell sites also.
I of course had to make the various calls and emails to many of the clients
to let them know and coordinate the down time, each time I did
troubleshooting. I then realized I had a bug that caused a some CPEs not to
switch the the right channel, causing them to stay down. Because of my
experienmce, I know its firmware issue, and download and apply the firmware
on the needed CPEs. I first have to get the down Radio CPEs back up, and am
able to do so because I remember the scan tables, and know they probably are
still sitting on the other channels in teh scan table.  Eventually after
about a day, I got working customers, customer C is working strong, but
customer A is still not working idealy.  Is it interference or bad radios?
Only way to tell is more equpipment swaps. Drive out to Cusstomer B site,
swap radio, and seems to resolve.   In this process, about 30 customers were
touched, all though there was really only one support ticket for Customer A
being resolved.

My point being, a Outsourced support company in India wouldn;t have been
able to handle this situation, and it surely would not have been cost
effective for someone to troubleshoot and make this repair who was not
intimately invovled with the local environment.  I just don't see this type
of thing scaling for large telcos. Atleast not for SLA level broadband
services.

The biggest headaches I had was dealing with the national partner companies
that were resellers of mine that were responisble for 2 or 3 of the
customers. It was a pain in the next having a middle man between me and the
customer, and it was even harder for the reseller to keep the end user
customer updated without them getting upset about poor communication.

My point being, sure many companies can work under the finance and a large
company conidating them, but the value of the local area operated by a local
company just never will go away with unlicensed wireless.  I'll jump the
hoops, because its my business, and I have stake in the end game. But if I
was an hired employee, that ticket would have been left unrepaired because
it would have been to much of a pain in the neck to deal with.  LArge telcos
don;t deal with it, becaues they ahve other optiosn that are more profitable
to manage.  Small WISPs deal with it, because its their only option to play
in the game.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband