From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Eje Gustafsson
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 3:24 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Apartment Buildings

Not seen a single solution that can do that. That is the functionality of
NAT to hide what is behind it. I take advantage of it all the time when I'm
staying in hotels. Use my own AP that allows my wifi enabled devices access
and connect to the hotels system and I'm paying a single fee for the hotel
that charges for internet.

Only way to "fight" it in a MTU type environment or even with residential is
educate the users and strike some fear into them that if they run open APs
they could get in trouble if the others that piggy back on it does illegal
things such as copyrighted filesharing, illegal p0rn or simply are virus
infected and they this way risk getting infected and have their own
computers compromised and become BOT slaves.

Plus also let them know that they are paying for specific service speeds and
if they let others use it a lot for free then themselves no longer have the
speed for themselves and also possible point to the bit cap portion of the
user agreement letting them know that their account could possibly be shut
down prematurely because someone else is using up all their allow bit count.

Some students will not care and there might be two apartment that even share
the cost of the service and then you cannot do much about it besides maybe
limit per connections etc to choke them out.

What we do at one location (granted all pre-wired) is that the landlord is
paying a small fee each month but then we provide free internet to the
tenants just fast enough to work for a individual doing normal web browsing
but then we also provide upgrade service on a for pay basis. The people that
pay tend to be greedy and want it all to themselves ;)

/Eje