I probably shouldn't admit this but I think I discovered a novel way
to find a tower from a distance without using balloons or kites.

We put one of those small two bulb rotating 12V emergency lights atop
our 180' Rohn 9N this weekend.  I had some spare CAT5 already up the
tower so split it into two sets of 4 wires and wired it up.  Voltage
drop calculations showed about 12V drop over 200 feet so I connected
it to a 24V 18A supply and to an IP switch.

The results exceeded my expectations.  You can see the tower when the
light is toggled on from over 10 miles.  The twirling amber light is
unmistakable compared to other tower lights.  I should add my
calculations were a bit off and it appears to be only running at
about 70% or so compared to how fast they spin connected to 12V with
a short wire.  However, the intensity is good enough for my distances.

The light was around 100 bucks, the power supply a hundred, and the
CAT5 was already up there.

I mounted the light to a sheet of aluminum and mounted that with an
articulating mount from an ARC panel to the top of the tower.  Fairly
small and will no doubt be useful many times before the halogen bulbs
need replaced.

I am doing a critical install and needed to know where exactly on a
property I needed to plant a pole.  I had a fellow put me up in a
bucket truck at the terminal end, had the light toggled on and found
the sweet spot.

Just thought I'd pass this on since it was a subject of conversation
a while back.

Mike