As the cost is minimal I would attach the arrestor to a ground rod at or
near the unit then another ground rod at the structure just before cable
entry, if you think the strikes are going to be on a more constant rate.

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of James McBryan
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:52 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: [WISPA] Need Lightning Arrestor Advice

Hello all,

I am part of a group installing a wireless network in rural Honduras
for a growing educational system with a chapter of Engineers Without
Borders (http://ewb-usa.org). We are creating a 7 node wireless
network spanning a 3 mile radius. Since Honduras is very prone to
rain storms and lightning strikes, we need to protect our equipment
from the lightning. We plan on doing the following:

1) Place an arrestor between the radio and the antenna
2) Place an arrestor in the POE injector

Some of the following criteria we are thinking:

Amount of lightning strikes: One or Many
Insertion Loss: Small as possbile
Frequency : 2.4-5.8 GHZ

When searching the internet, I see many many types of lightning
arrestors given my criteria. Does anyone have any recommendations
through their experience with lightning arrestors? What do you use?

Thanks!
James

--------