Update for those Interested....

I loaded the newest stable rel MT OS v 3.30 on all the radio.
It did not help. The problem still existed.

To review we had two clients "a" and "b", and "b" was the one that would
drop link if pass traffic in upload direction.

Initially it was impossible to upload the firmware to the clientB. So I
temporarily disabled clientA, and then it was possible to successfully
upload new OSfirmware to clientB.

So, I replicated the setup in the lab today, with 5 MT SBCs, of the same
type as in the field. The only difference is I was out of XR900s so I used
5.Xghz cards. Initially I could not relicate the problem. So I decided to
enduce some noise (a Trango AP randomly pointing to and away and to the test
bed in a controlled fassion).  I was able to replicate the problem. And yes
the 411 system (equivellent to clientB) that had 5db better signal was the
one that dropped link when the Trango noise was induced, just like in the
field.

What was most interesting is the results of the Bandwdith test, when noise
was induced. Note we were simultaneously running 1500byte ping across both
radios simultanous to MT bandwidth test to clientB, and accross clientA we
ran a timed Iperf to generate triffic. .
When noise was slowly induced, the pings stopped passing traffic first, then
about a second or two later, the MT Bandwidth test (same results set at UDP
or TCP) started the incremental slow down, 800mbps to 700mbps, to 500mbps,
to 300 mbps until reached Zero, and then when at Zero the wifi session to
ClientB dropped.

So first thing we realized is that the MT Bandwdith test incremental slow
down was a misleading symptom. Its the results the tool will always show
when any Noise gets injected onto the link to the level that full packet
traffic won't pass.

Second thing noticed... In our original test bed, clientB was on Station
WDS, and CLientA on WDS Slave. This is because clientB is the 411 board and
has License level 3, and we figured it would only support station modes. We
also switched ClientA to station WDS, and when we did that, and injected
noise, it took a bit longer and more noise before the noise caused links to
drop, and it also eventually caused ClientA to also drop along with ClientB.

That last test was done at end of day, as we were finishing up.

Tommorrow, we are going to substitute a 433board for teh 411 board, and see
if we get different results or not. Tommorrow we are also going to try
different configuration methods other than WDS modes, to see if the links
drop as easilly in the same way or not.

So in summary I can conclusively say.... The original way I had radio
configured wa sperfectly acceptable for low noise conditions. But with
900Mhz, I surely will run into sporatic noise, atleast at that site.. It is
clear that noise was integating the odd behavior from the MT radios.

It is also clear noise was at the AP side. What we still will be
investigating is how come one radio was effected more than the other, and if
we can find alternate MT configs to allow clients to be more noise
resilient.  In a nutshell, disconnections occured to soon on the one unit.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband