Heya Jeremy,

Use a known gain antenna (I don't know what the ns2 is), get to where you
are looking right into the main beam of their antenna exactly 1 mile (or two
or whatever, but an exact distance in even miles) away.  Send me the rssi
value and I'll run the calcs to figure out what their eirp is.

You might want to try this with a couple of different radios as these signal
levels don't hardly seem possible.

If I figure a 30dB (1 watt) transmitter into a 15dB omni (pretty common
screw up) I still only get -38 at .5 miles to a 15dB cpe antenna.  32 watts
of output vs. the 4 watts that a base station can legally have.  He'd have
to be in excess of 64 watts if my assumptions are right.

Here's one of the problems these days.  I've got, waiting for me to try it,
a 30dB tx power radio.    That's a LOT of tx power.  But it's what the
manufacturers are shipping these days.  Even the xr2 defaults to 28dB in a
MT radio.  I ALWAYS turn them down.  Usually to the 17 to 20 dB range.  They
system works much much better that way.  Many people still treat RF like
horsepower though.  If a little is good, more is better.  Yet you don't
drive your car at wide open throttle all of the time, even in a racing
situation.  Why does anyone think it's a good idea on the radios?

Hope that helps,
marlon