From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of jp
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:30 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Amateur repeater on a wisp tower -- gotchas?

Yep, use shielded ethernet cable and there won't be problems. Even use
shielded indoors.

Being they are not doing for money, the amatuer crowd is also somewhat apt
to ignore OSHA and many of the modern safety concepts like fall protection.
Unless you specify your safety requirements, you might see a guy up on your
tower in an old bosuns chair with 30 year old rope, or perhaps an old pole
climbing belt. I agree they could be a good folks to know and work with;
they could be a good inside connection to lots of other towers and
businesses. If you have any electrical and RF skills, it's not much work to
get an amatuer radio license; read a book, take a couple classes, and take
a test. Morse code is optional. At the very least, they'd feel better
understood and some camraderie if you got a license.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:37:11AM -0400, Kurt Fankhauser wrote:
> In my experiences with 2 meter ham gear that is around Ethernet there is a
> lot of interference from the Ethernet to the ham guys stuff. I've never
seen
> the ham guys cause interference though to any wifi gear.
>
> Ham guys are a whole different breed of folk and depending on how these
ones
> your talking to are they may be an invaluable asset to you or they may be
> your worst nightmare. The ones around my area are the later and anyone
that
> gets involved with them end up regretting it later down the road.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Kurt Fankhauser
> WAVELINC
> P.O. Box 126
> Bucyrus, OH 44820
> 419-562-6405
> www.wavelinc.com

----

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/

----