2009/10/28 Jeremy Parr <jeremyp...@gmail.com>:
> I have a 23 mile link completely over water that I cannot get stable.
> One end is approx 200ft AGL, 220ft ASL, the other end is 50' AGL, 90'
> ASL. Antennas are V-Pol 29dbi grids, radios are R5H cards. I have
> tried the link at both 5.2, and 5.8, but it still fluctuates
> dramatically. When the antennas were installed and configured for a
> 5Mhz channel, I was able to aim them to -55, but still they go down
> during parts of the day. I have a second antenna hung on the 200ft
> end, at about 185', connected to a second R5H set up for H-Pol which I
> am going to light up as soon as I get the other end mounted H-Pol. Any
> other suggestions for getting this stable? I also notice some
> strangeness when doing bandwidth tests. I can get a steady 8mbps
> downstream from the 200ft end to the 50' end, but from the 50' end to
> the 200ft end, the transfer starts at about 6mbps, then slowly drops
> down to 0, and the client radio (the 50' end) drops. My assumption is
> multipath reflections off of the water at the lower end, but I cannot
> be sure. The water is tidal, with as much as a 3' change from low to
> high, and is connected to the ocean, so there can be considerable chop
> and wave action on the surface.

I just swapped this link to H-Pol, and it needs to be watched
overnight, but looks good so far. Signal fluctuating between -59 and
-66 on a 20mhz channel, CCQ at 90/90 or better. After flipping to
H-Pol, the channel was still set to 5Mhz, and the same fast start and
slowdown was occurring, the radio would disassociate with poll
timeouts and too many retransmissions. Switching to a 20mhz channel
fixed this.

                status: running
              duration: 3m59s
            tx-current: 15.7Mbps