Rfantennadesign.com

/Eje
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: "MDK" <rea...@muddyfrogwater.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:15:32
To: WISPA General List<wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 24dB 2.4 gig grid antennas

I believe Advanced Antenna bought out the old Equinox company, and now it
appears they, too, have gone belly-up - or at least the old website is now
gone (www.advancedantennainc.com).    Perhaps now there's yet another
operating under the old brand, or maybe they changed websites and I can't
find the new one.

Over the years I've used a number of their antennas, and they were by far,
the most troublesome I have used.   They were even heavier than the
pacwireless, and used the same flimsy bracket, with the dipole attached to
the BRACKET not the dish, and the L shaped bracket would bend in the wind,
leaving the dish and dipole out of alignment.    We actually engineered a
cable retention system we used on both theirs and PW's large grids to keep
them pointed properly in high winds.

They finally upgraded to a much heavier gauge bracket, but the design flaw
remained.     Then sometime later, I bought a boxful of 2.4 samples (from
low to high gain), and found they simply weren't worth messing with.   2 out
of 5 had bad dipoles - one failed on install, the other failed a few months
later.    The price was very cheap, however.   And, they did appear to have
roughly the gain they claimed.

I took the dipoles apart and found that the construction was beyond bad.
They were just crude and poorly constructed and poorly designed in every way
eXCEPT the dipole printed on a PCB, which was very nicely done.
THAT was my experience with the Equinox branded antennas.

Later, I got quotes from Advanced Antenna, and bought bunch of the j-arm
universal mounts, which were great.    Upon calling back, I got my call
answered by the same guy who used to be at Equinox...   They raised the
prices of their antennas above pacwireless, so I never bought a thing from
them except j arm mounts.

Some of the equinox guys left and started their own company,  and I recall
they had a new name and new location, but I never bought anything from them,
since my biggest use of antennas is 5 ghz and theirs cost more than
Pacwireless.   I no longer recall the name they operated under.

Lately, I've used a bunch of Arcwireless panels with the enclosure on the
back, and the performance from those has been better than any grids I've
used.    Not to mention that compex finally got their certifications done a
few years ago and that was the antenna of choice :)

 The 23 db panel gave us better RSSI than a 25 db PW grid for a given
distance.    The 2.4 panel performance is also very good.

We lately used mostly ubiquiti bullets (not hp) for cpe and have gone back
to the PW grids, because the standalone panel antenna mounts for Arcwireless
totally suck.    They're weak,  clumsy, and even look strange.

THere are two versions of PacWireless 5 ghz grids, there's a wideband and a
narrow band.    The wideband has an attached pigtail, and is cheaper by a
few bucks.   We've had a number of them that didn't work right, found some
had the beam off to the side,  or other quirks, like wildly varying RSSI for
small frequency changes.    The narrow band ones have no pigtail, but have
worked better and more reliably, but we find them VERY hard to waterproof.
We've found that some of the pigtails built onto the grids have leaked water
right past the shrink wrap.   A couple of temporary installs we used just
filled themselves with water, which apparently had to come through the
sheath of the cable, or through the shrink wrap itself.   Still, we keep
using them by default, because we haven't found any good alternative.   If
one of them behaves funny, we just toss it in the van and use it in some
location that's real short distance and the gain or odd beam isn't an issue.
Still, the water issue was a problem that I am extremely concerned about,
though the failure rate has been small and only affects a few recent
installs.

I got some ignition spec dielectric grease and filled the connector with it
and it's been fine ever since...  the temp install has now made it through
several more driving rainstorms with no issue, when it failed on the FIRST
big rain this summer.