So is food an absolute necessity.

Does this mean we should have a single farmer system run by the government?

Maybe we should have a single ISP system, run by the government?   Single
car maker, run by the government?    Single housing contractor, run by
Congress?    Single clothing maker, the federal clothing agency?

Come on.   You just can't go there, can you?    Well, some people would.
They view government as holy and perfect, and just have a religious faith in
it.    The rest of us live in the real world and it would seem that given a
few minutes of thought,  it makes less than no sense to have the government
run health care.

Medicare?    Please.    Don't even dream of such nonsense.

Medicare reimburses doctors, hospitals, etc, somewhere between 10 and 60% of
the COST of what people who are on medicare actually get.    The rest of us
who actually PAY are paying to subsidize them.

If everyone were transferred to Medicare, it would take somewhere between 90
and 270 days for almost every hospital, doctor's office, etc, to either go
bankrupt or close voluntarily.     At the rates at which Mecicare pays, the
best doctor you could get would be an email conference with some guy in
India who collects $3 per consult.

It is NOT an option.

Frankly, for those of you want a single payer system...   Could you tell the
rest of us what experience you have with a federal agency that has so
inspired you with confidence over their efficiency, responsiveness, wisdom,
and fantastic ability, that you stood in awe and said "I want them in charge
of my life!"     And, not only did that, but in your mind, completely made
up for the Postal service, the IRS, EPA, and all the other alphabet soup
which are stunning examples of "how to be wrong, wasteful, stupid and
irresponsible, overbearing, abusive, rude, power-trip seekers, and yet never
get fired"?

If that hasn't happened to you, then what sort of fantasy do you indulge in,
that makes you think the government is just so darn good at running stuff?
Please provide an example of how the federal government is such a fantastic
administrator of our money, while you're at it...

I have just GOT to know where these fantasies... Or, maybe they are real
life experiences - the likes of which I have never witnessed, read about,
heard about, seen, or experienced personally...   Come from, that so inspire
people to put their life in the hands of Congress.

My experience says I'd rather do surgery on myself.