The question that one must ask themself is... Is the public adequately being
served in most cases where broadband is delivered?
Is the private sector capable and doing a good enough job of meeting demand
fast enough? And what evidence is there that the government could do it
better?

I was in favor of the BTOP/BIP program for several reasons, however that
does not mean I am automatically supportive of more of the same.
It was more of a situation of deciding how to spend money allocated instead
of whether it should be spent. Truthfully, I think the industry needed a
little boost, in a down economy, regardless of who the recipients of the
funds were. I'd argue the Wifi manufacturers were in pretty good shape, but
the WiMax vendors may have needed some bail-out. They will sell more gear
under grants than loans, for sure. But I clearly dont believe monies are
most efficiently spent when using other people's money. That is simply a
fact.  And government spending does not improve that problem. Aka the
stories of the $700 hammer via beaurocracy. I can give an example of one
WISP who publically stated he could serve a rural community for as little
$3000 upfront for like 20 sq miles, compared to another carrier WISP that
claimed they needed like $100,000 per 2 square miles just for tower
infrastructure, and like $1000 per customer for CPE.  There is a huge void
in between.  If you ask me, I'd like to see way more loans to help the
private sector and way less grants.  Grants should be reserved for very
special circumstances, in my mind, and allocating them on a competitive
basis doesn't make sense to me.  And its rarely a good idea to rush spending
and evaluation of others' network plans.

Government help in itself is not a bad thing. Tim gave so many good examples
of how Government has helped society.  But we need to be realistic that
nothing is free, and one way or another consumers pay for what they consume,
whether the efficiency of spending was hidden from sight or not.

The answer is to continue investigating how Government help can be most
effective, and how it can still best preserve and protect the private
sector.
The government does somethings very well, but when trouble occurs is when
they think they can do something better than the private sector, when its an
industry historically served by the private sector. If there was a better
way, the private sector would already be doing it. The problem is not the
providers, but maybe barriers that need removed.

I beleive in some regulation, not anarchy. Regulation should be used to
create a healthy industry environment, not to unnecessarilly burden the
providers of the industry. Clearly some improvements to regulation is
needed.  This is why it is so important that WISPs are involved in National
Broadband Plan debates, to help define those new policies.

 I will always try to reach out to my Government for help, that is why they
are there, and I will also standup and protest when they try to give to much
help or the wrong kind of help, because that is what I'm here for.

There are places where help is "needed".
I think part of the problem is that definition of "need" requires better
definition, it is way to highly subjective as-is.

I live near the nation's capitol, participate in a Broadband intensive IT
industry, even distance learning, and I serve my company from a 900Mhz
wireless CPE, am happy with it, and it does everything that I "NEED".  I
paid for it myself. I just question why the same is not good enough for
everyone else?

I personally beleive the Feds need more seed grant money, to help
innovators, not necessarilly to help the people at the expense of
competition amoungst providers.

Respectfully,

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc