On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:05 PM, RickG wrote:

> I workde for an REA. One of the most wasteful companies I've ever seen.
> Private companies could do a much better job.

Hard to know that for sure. I used to work for Lockheed. Damn they were
wasteful. And stupid too...

Certainly there is more fraud and hidden market manipulation in the private
sector (think Enron, World Comm and Madoff).

And when you get into duopoly situations (which is common in the ISP world), it
can be very difficult for small businesses to compete even with an otherwise
strong business proposition.

We can discuss on Wispa Chat something the good and bad of government,
regulations, and bureaucracies. The point here is, it's just way too simplistic
to say "business is better" or "business is less wasteful". Sure, WE might be
less wasteful-but that isn't true in many cases. And recent history is replete
with problems in the private sector, from fraud to foolish risk decisions that
hurt not just the offending companies, but our entire economy.

Chuck

> Besides, I agree with our
> forefathers who repeatedly said that they see no reason for the government
> to take money from some to give to others. -RickG
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM, David E. Smith <d...@mvn.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 20:42, RickG <rgunder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Tim Sylvester <t...@avanzarnetworks.com
>>> Rural
>>>>

>>> Another bad deal.
>>>

>> I'm gonna have to call you out on this. How was the Rural Electrification
>> Act a bad idea? Are you going to argue that the most remote areas would
>> have
>> affordable electricity in the absence of the REA? (Keep in mind there was
>> 20-30 years of history saying exactly the opposite before that act was
>> passed. Parallels between that and some hypothetical Rural Fiber Act are
>> purely intentional.)
>>
>> David Smith
>> MVN.net

Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

"When the stars threw down their spears,
and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile, His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"