From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of RickG
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:31 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] I'm an idiot

This reminds me of a 400' tower I climbed two winters ago. At that point, I
thought I might climb for others and make a little extra cash. So, I took an
offer and went to the site. We had to wait a long time for the radio station
to power down which made for a very late start. When they were ready, I
suited up and walked over to the tower. The dumb cell company ran the cables
up all three of the OUTSIDE faces! I almost called it off then but I hate to
quit so up I went. I felt like Jack and the beanstalk climbing that sucker.
To make matters worse, about halfway up the sun went down, the temperature
dropped to single digits, and a snowstorm hit. I made it to the top and
swung out to a huge enclosure. The plan was to disconnect power one at a
time (yes, they had the POE units up there) until the bad radio went
offline. Once we found the bad radio, I was to trace its wire and swap it
out. So, while dealing with the ground chief, I began pulling power. On the
2nd POE they said "thats it". So, I traced the wire and swapped out the
radio, then headed down. Halfway down I heard the ground cheif say "uh oh!
That wasnt it after all! You better go back and try again". I turned off my
two-way and proceeded down. The ground cheif was actually on the ground
crying like a baby, swearing, and saying I wasnt getting paid. I told him to
keep the money along with his poor planning, and get another dog. At that
point, I decided I was only climbing for myself. I like working for myself
much better :)

----

----

----