You'd have to ask him.  I know that he's in the DSL business and is
interested in being Maine's phone company.  This project not only
provides relief for the desparate middle mile in maine, but if you look
at the map on the project website
(http://www.threeringmaine.com/map.html ) you'll see that it talks about
GWI (Great Works Internet) central offices.  That puts GWI in control
and if your an independent ISP in Maine, I'd be working that there is
oversight and that there is no huge advantage for GWI in the deal.
After all, he gets to build the network and he doesn't have to foot the
bill for it.  Yes it means jobs for Maine, but only a handful.

As I said, he's been interested in overbuilding (Fairpoint/Verizon) for
years, ever since I installed his first 8 modems back in the 90's.  He's
built quite a business.  He's no shrinking violet, He's brilliant,
shrewd and patient.

Cheers,
Curtis