Jpegs and pngs are another area that they compress.  You can re-compress
these images quite a bit.  They look uglier, but it saves quite a bit of
the size.  Is it worth it?  I'm not too excited.

Randy

On 3/8/2010 11:18 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Almost all HTTP content is gzip'ed already.  I doubt any compression
> above that is going to be worth the CPU time cost.
>
> Even if the software was free, who would support the people who are
> terrified to install anything at all?
>
> On 3/9/10, Scottie Arnett<sarn...@info-ed.com>  wrote:
>
>> If you really check into it, it is a data compression deal. Much like
>> zipping up the data with winzip before it crosses the data layer. I really
>> do not see how it can help with broadband in any sense. I used to use the
>> same type deals on dial-up.
>>
>> Scottie

>> From: "David E. Smith"<d...@mvn.net>
>> Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:56:22 -0600

>>> This looks a lot like the dialup accelerator software packages that were
>>> all
>>> the rage several years ago. I'd just about bet Propel's service requires
>>> software to be installed on the customer's PC. Assuming that's the case,
>>> you
>>> won't be able to install it on a Netflix box or a PS3 or basically anything
>>> that's not a standard desktop computer. Thus, depending on your customer
>>> base, you may not see all that much traffic reduction.
>>>
>>> We have something similar, from another vendor. It works well enough,
>>> though
>>> we were marketing it primarily towards dialup users; at the time (several
>>> years ago) the effects on a 1Mbps connection were negligible. This probably
>>> has changed over time, but our vendor wanted a crazy amount of money to
>>> sell
>>> us an update that would be compatible with Windows Vista, so we haven't
>>> really tested it in quite a while.
>>>
>>> David Smith
>>> MVN.net

>>> ---
>>> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]
>>>

>> Wireless High Speed Broadband service from Info-Ed, Inc. as low as
>> $30.00/mth.
>> Check out www.info-ed.com/wireless.html for information.

Randy Cosby
Vice President
InfoWest, Inc

435-674-0165 x 2010

http://www.infowest.com/

"Letting off steam always produces more heat than light." - Neal A. Maxwell