From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of jp
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:09 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] DC Powered sites

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:26:17AM -0600, Scott Piehn wrote:
> We a looking to setup a couple of our sites to run directly from DC power.
AC comes in, convert to DC
> At this point, plan is to have a 24v setup of deep cycle batteries.
> Use a packetflux to monitor the battery voltage level
> Use a digital logger DIN relay for remote reboot.
> Use the PacWireless DC POE injectors for 12 - 48 volt output
>
> What I am totally not sure on is the charging/power piece.
> The initial site is going to have
> Canopy CMM micro with 1 powered port
> 8 Mikotik routerboards,
> switch
>
> ?should I run things directly from the battery, or how should it be
powered
> ?what kind of charger should I get
> Scott Piehn

The Mikrotiks handle up to 24v, but the charging float voltage is higher
than they like, so you'll need a DC-DC converter for them. They are
cheap and plentiful for a 24v-12v dc-dc converter.

You can get a 24vdc switching power supply (or two) from Jameco, Ebay,
etc.. and adjust the voltage set screw to the recommended float voltage
for your batteries (probably in the 27-28v range). Too low, and you
won't fully charge them, too high and you'll boil them away over time.

The power supplies should provide power for the load and excess power
for charging. Thus you'll have to figure out your load before you get a
power supply (or just go for something grossly in excess of your needs)
So if you have 240w load, you'll need 10A for the load and extra for
charging and expansion, so a 20A (~~ 500w) power supply might be good.

Use heavy duty wiring between the batteries and charger, etc.. for
minimal voltage drop. A fuse panel like used in boats or traditional
autos would be fine for the charging and loads fuses. For larger fuse
needs, there are lots of excellent car audio system fuses and fuse
blocks available.

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

----