Good explanation by Lawerence.  He touched on it, but to expand a little
as it helps trouble shooting.  The link light comes on when the receive
side knows there is link.  If you only get a light on one end of a link,
you know which pair to look at, though it could be the port is bad.

Also, I believe the IEEE spec would say no active or passive devices on
the wire other than connectors.  What you are wanting to do will mess up
the capacitance and inductance of the wire and that can cause data errors.

Also, on many devices, disabling the port does not drop link.  Link is a
physical characteristic, not a logical one.  Often if the port is power,
it will link regardless of the administrative state of the port.

Scott Reed
Sr. Systems Engineer
GAB Midwest
1-800-363-1544 x4000