As much as i hate to admit it...We still service/install hughesnet and idirect
sat services.If I can help you i will,been at it almost 12 years.

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, Tim Sylvester <t...@avanzarnetworks.com> wrote:

From: Tim Sylvester <t...@avanzarnetworks.com>
Subject: [WISPA] NPR Story on FCC Broadband Plan and Internet Access in Trinity
County California
To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 6:52 PM

On Monday, NPR aired a story on the FCC Broadband Plan and Internet access
in Trinity County California. The story by Laura Sydell was in anticipation
of the FCC Broadband Plan today and profiled Trinity County, a rural county
in northern California.

You can read/listen to the story at:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124703744

I have a few technical/business questions for the group.

The story talks about Brunt Ranch Elementary School with 92 students that
paid $50,000 for a satellite Internet connection. The school is not happy
with the cost and the connection does not work reliably. The school doesn't
have much money and only has 20 computers. Putting aside the questions about
who should pay for the connection and why an elementary school needs
Internet, here are my questions:

1. What type of satellite Internet connection costs $50,000?

2. Does anyone have experience deploying satellite Internet access? How much
does it cost and how reliable is the service?

3. Does anyone have experience with Hughes Networks satellite Internet
service? I exchanged e-mail with a Hughes rep and they offer 5Mbps business
class Internet service for $399/month using a .98M dish. You can pay
$28/month for 7x24 on-site service and $20/month for 5 static IP addresses.

The story also talks about ATT fiber that runs through the county but ATT
won't connect anyone in the county to the fiber. ATT claims that the fiber
isĀ  "not engineered for local feeds." A local ISP has requested to "tap
into" the fiber to provide Internet access in the area. My questions are:

4. What does "not engineered for local feeds" mean? Is it possible that the
fiber is for a long haul connection and it would be very expensive or
impossible to connect Trinity County to the fiber? Is ATT telling the truth,
outright lying or lazy?

Finally, many people in the group have used microwave links for backhaul to
rural areas. In a worst case scenario, Trinity County might be able to
connect to fiber deployed CENIC. CENIC is a non-profit organization that
connects educational and research institutions in California. CENIC has
fiber in Corning which is 100 miles from Weaverville, the county seat for
Trinity County. My questions are:

5. What would it cost to deploy a 100 mile microwave link between Corning
and Weaverville with a minimum of 50Mbps of bandwidth but preferably 100Mbps
or 1Gbps? Yes, there are many variables but assume worst case. In general,
would this work and what is ballpark/order of magnitude pricing for this
link? Are we talking about $500K, $1M, $5M, $10M or $50M?? What is the
longest microwave link deployed by Clearwire for backhaul?

Thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Sylvester