On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:29 -0600, Scottie Arnett wrote:
> If they are giving them some form of subsidy to build these
> networks, then I think we should have access to use it too.

This is the wrong way to view it, though.  I'm not looking to argue the
point, but want to address this in a slightly different way.  Let's take
an area called ruralville, us.  In Ruralville, there is a population of
1000 citizens who earn an average of $22k/year.  If there were no high
speed options in ruralville, would YOU build a network there?  I know I
would.  Especially if I carried the backhaul in from a larger network.
Would you require someone else to pay for the gear, or could you make
the numbers work for that area?  I know I could make the numbers work.

NOW...the question is:  If it is feasible to make it work without a
subsidy, WHY SHOULD ANYONE GET ONE FOR THAT AREA?

In my mind, it's not about "if they get one, I want one, too".  It is
more along the line of "if I don't NEED one, neither do they".

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *