My bandwidth provider is an example of someone who decided to become that
"provider neutral" middle mile.

Not the only game in town, but he's definitely made a huge difference in the
ability of a lot of smaller ISP's to  become competitive, and he's making
decent money, to boot.

In my area, it's the cost of transport that's the real "cost" of bandwidth.
I get calls from various providers looking to sell me anywhere from 10 to 30
bucks/meg, but there's no way to cost effectively transport it, due to the
long distances.

Basically, my provider charges about the same for transport as he does for
bandwidth, and his connectivity is pretty good.

I've gotten prices from pretty much every b/w provider around over the
years, including those that own their own fiber, and he beats them all - not
so much due to the cost/meg, but they have enormous colo fees, or insist I
buy a local loop to get it to me.     There will always be pitfalls to
trying to force someone to sell you a service at less  than they want to...
Best option is for someone to become a regional middle mile like my provider
is.

Neofast, Inc, Making internet easy
541-969-8200  509-386-4589