  From: Jack Unger
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:31 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] FCC Enforcements

  Randy,

  Thanks for the copy and paste.

  What happened is that the WISP took a 5.8 GHz Motorola and re-tuned it for
the 5470-5725 MHz band. Therefore they were using it on a band that it was not
certified to operate on thus they were using a radio that was not certified on
the frequency that they were using it on. The FCC language is just the legal
way to describe what was taking place. To operate a radio on 5.60 GHz, they
would legally have to be using a) a radio that was certified for the 5470-5725
MHz band, or b) a radio that was licensed to be operating on 5.60 GHz (for
example, a TDWR system).  Since neither (a) nor (b) was true, they were
operating illegally. If they had been using a legally certified Part-15,
license-free, 5470-5725 MHz radio, they would still have been asked to exclude
5.60 GHz (because it was interfering with the TDWR) but they would not have
been in violation of the law.

  jack

  Randy Cosby wrote:
Maybe I read too much into it, but here it he language I was referring to.
*
Radio stations must be licensed by the FCC pursuant to 47 U.S.C. S: 301.
*    The only exception to this licensing requirement is for certain
    transmitters using or operating at a power level or mode of operation that
    complies with the standards established in Part 15 of the Commission's
    rules. Nonlicensed operation pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC's rules,
    however, is conditioned upon compliance with all applicable regulations in
    the subpart. 47 C.F.R. S: 15.1(b). All intentional radiators, such as your
    U-NII device, operating pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC's rules must be
    certified for use as a Part 15 device. 47 C.F.R. S: 15.201(b). The
    Motorola Canopy device, model # 5700BH20, FCC ID ABZ89F-C5804, is not
    authorized for use on frequency 5.60 GHz. Accordingly, you are not in
    compliance with the requirements of Part 15 of the FCC's rules. Therefore,
    your operations must be licensed by the FCC.*The FCC has no record of a
    license being issued to you to operate a transmitter on 5.61 GHz from your
    location.*Thus, this station is operating in violation of 47 U.S.C.
    S: 301.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-290775A1.html