The cost and availability depends quite a bit where you are
in Alaska.  The cost also depends quite a bit on what level
of service quality you are looking for and whether or not
you want simple Internet access or want some kind of business
class Internet service with hosting capabilities.

If you are in Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, Wasilla, Kodiak,
Seward, Homer, Kenai, Soldotna, Eagle River, Kotzebue or Nome,
your best bang for the buck is going to be from GCI, ACS and
sometimes AT&T.  Satellite will be more expensive, a lot less
bandwidth and a lot less reliable.

If you are in bush Alaska, your choices are going to mostly
be GCI and sometimes ACS.  Both of which will be backhauling
over satellite on big dishes, pointing low to the horizon.
GCI does last-mile WISP in a majority of bush Alaska
communities and you will be unable to come anywhere close to
their prices because they are using USF funding to get
Internet to the bush schools and health clinics and QOS
traffic shaping to sell the unused Internet bandwidth to the
community populations over their WISP networks.

FWIW, GCI is the bandwidth king in Alaska and quite often
you will find that ACS and AT&T are secretly buying circuits
from GCI and riding GCI's network and passing the markup to
the customer.

GCI are greedy bastards and will sell anything to anyone...
...as long as the two of you can agree on a price.  And
keep in mind that they get really frantic if they think
that their competition (ACS, AT&T) might take a sale away
from them.  Their unofficial motto is "we never say 'no' to
anyone.  We just negotiate price."  ACS and AT&T are
crippled by unions and have a tough time competing with GCI.

Submitting "requests for quotation" to all three of the
major carriers will usually get the most competitive price
agreement (SLA) to be included as part of the quotations.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Telecom Engineer (formerly from Alaska)
Waikoloa Village, HI 96738