On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:25, Bret Clark <bcl...@spectraaccess.com> wrote:

> I must have missed it, but what did the telcos do with the 3.65 range?

I dunno whether this was the telcos' doing, or not, but the power rules in
3.65 are silly and counter-intuitive.

Basically, your EIRP is limited to... the width of your channel. Need a
small, long-distance link? Too bad, a 5MHz channel limits you to 5 watts
EIRP (about 37dBm). Using better antennas doesn't help; there's no "tradeoff
power for antenna gain" rule like 2.4 PTP. A 20MHz-wide channel lets you go
up to 20 watts EIRP (43 dBm). The rules encourage using more spectrum than
you really need, and make it very difficult to set up longer-distance links
- even if you use all 25MHz available to you, there's a hard cap of 25 W
EIRP (or 44.something dBm).

David Smith
MVN.net