Finklenet eh?

Okay then, if it's kewl with you and you can sell it I guess it's kewl
w/me LOL!

At least your name isn't Richard Face ;)

I got a couple of suggestions for you so pls see comments below...

On 5/27/2010 10:08 AM, finkle dinkle wrote:

> Josh, the gbit ptp will be done through fiber to the building, then
> whoever in the building wants service.. will pay set up to get set up
> with ethernet or fiber to my office.
>
> I know I could get enough business inside the building to cover half
> the cost of everything because I'm pretty sure there is a company here
> with quite a few T1's, overpaying and not getting what they deserve.
> I've always been a proponent of maxing stuff out so I will be a great
> benefit to the tenants.

I did something like this in the past when I had a building in San Clemente.

I went to a prominent household name of a tennant in my building that
manufactured sunglasses - before they got super huge and moved further
north into their own facilities in a giant building alongside the 405
freeway and...

Told them I would like to bring them Internet service - at which point
they told me (Politely, because I was in the same building as them) that
they already had that taken care of.

I explained that I would still like to do so regardless - for free. That
I would help set up 'part' of their compay to use my service to them,
say, non mission-critical machinery and some of their clerical personnel.

I went on to offer that we could just leave it for a couple of months
and then they could give me a call or I'd check back.

My extreme candidness and "it costs you nothing, no strings" approach
was compelling enough for them to give it a shot - against the
recommendation of their IT dudette.

so I hooked 'em up, by simply freelining across the roof since we didn't
want to bother with a permanent connection, and made sure the CEO knew
that they could use as little or as much as they wanted, no strings.

About two and a half months went by and I said nothing, while their
stats on the router continued to climb, until one day when I was walking
out to my car going to lunch their IT dudette approached me.

She said that their CEO wanted to have a chat with me, and so whenever
it was convenient for me to just stop by.

SOLD! Plus, I got to pick out about ten pairs of sunglasses and a couple
of T-shirts for free too ;)

We did a proper installation, and based on word of mouth in the building
I sold the entire rest of the building, about 10 different
suites/companies total.

Finkle, it appears that you're not going to have a problem bringing in
the service and eating it for a couple of months while you get
customers, and prolly the best place to start to recoup your cost is
right there in your own building.

A superior service stands for itself, and knowing the "Good Internet
Service" isn't going to remain free forever, they're prolly going to
switch over in the short term. You just have to sell it, which is easy
if you give it away free for a month or two.

> So if I'm able to set something up externally, I may be able to
> actually break even and profit some,  I actually know I could profit
> but I want this to be more of a service to the people who are unable
> to get anything decent out here.

A perfect starting point - have other's pay for the connection you want
for yourself and go from there ;)

Just an idea.

Hope that helps :)

- --