The Broadband Internet Technical Advisory Group, formed by AT&T, Verizon,
Comcast, Google, Intel and Microsoft, will "develop consensus on broadband
network management practices or other related technical issues that can
affect users' internet experience".

"This or any other voluntary effort is not a substitute for the government
setting basic rules of the road for the internet, said Chris Riley, policy
counsel at Free Press a Washington based advocacy group.

"Allowing industry to set its own rules is like allowing BP to regulate its
drilling."

As many know, I am a strong advocate AGAINST TItleII reclassification.

As well, I've always been a huge fan of Copps over the years, but I sit on
the opposite side of the table regarding the TitleII Reclassification topic.

 But the text above from the BBC arcticle is super scary.

Probably the worst threat of NOT implementing NetNeutrality in some
capacity, is that there would be no regulation to guarantee that content
would not be blocked from small Internet providers. Without Content
neutrality, small ISPs are vulnerable. AKA the ESPN360 Issue.  (note: Just
got another call today, from a retail venue customer asking why they cant
get ESPN360 over my network, to view the "WorldCUP" ?  And that customer is
now deciding, whether to switch to Comcast or not, because they have no
other chocie if they want that content.

The last thing in the world we want is a group operated by ATT, Verizon,
Comcast, Google, Intel, and Microsoft, THE GOLIATHS OF ATTEMPTING TO CONTROL
CONTENT AND HIJACK the INTERNET AS THEIR OWN, to define what is fair in
Netneutrlaity and CONTENT NEUTRALITY.   I'd rather the FCC regulate it, than
have our competition Regulate it.

However, Copp makes a strong statement that....

"If the Commission fails to reassert its authority, then the days of the
open internet will be succeeded by the age of the gatekeepers," said
Commissioner Copps.

There is some truth to that.  But when will they learn that the threat is
not blocking Content, the Threat to the INternet is Blocking Competition,
and Content from smaller competitive ISPs?

I'm not so concerned about the FCC regaining their authority, as I am about
them getting the message about what they'd really need to do, if they
regained authority.

What the FCC should do instead is Fund a Law Suit on behalf of consumers and
small ISPs, against the monopolies for business tort and anticompetive
practices and video content distribution violations. The FCC doesn't need
authority to rule to replace the courts, all they need is authroirty to
represent consumers (and Competition) in Court.

The FCC lost the battle that they did not have authority to control
Comcast's network. But so what. They did not fight the battle yet on whether
Comcast's practices were Anti-Competitive based on the other laws that
pre-exist.

Would it not make sense to test the other angles of pre-existing laws first?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband