From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred R. Goldstein
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:23 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: [WISPA] MicroTik HWMPplus mesh?

First off, I'd like to say hello to the list.  Mike Hammett pointed
me at it a couple of weeks ago, after I posted a wireless-related
question (wireless in the trees) at isp-clec, and he reposted it
here.  This list is a lot more active... I've been reading the past
few months archives and it's really quite informative.

I'm a consultant working with competitive service providers all over
the place.  I don't run a WISP but some clients do.  I am working now
with a startup that wants to serve some "unserved" (no cable or DSL,
just long-loop POTS/dial-up) remote territory which is about to get
middle mile service to the nearest "city" (year-round pop. <10,000,
but it's big for the area) thanks to a stimulus grant.

The unserved "last mile" area covers a strip about 5 to 30 miles from
the backbone point.  It's the RF environment from hell:  Heavily
wooded and hilly.  The most valuable strip of land is a long narrow
beachfront strip a block or so wide, with a palisade (steep wooded
hill) blocking it from the rest of the area.  Plus it's convex
(curves out into the big lake) so your line of sight within the
beachside strip is very small.  So in most places on the waterfront
there's not even cellular service, since the cell sites are over the
rim.  No WISP is crazy enough to go there.  My clients and I,
however, are unusually crazy... why else would we be in the
communications business?

Given that environment, there only way to get to most of the
subscribers is via multiple hops.  We'd come down to the beach in at
least two points near the ends, maybe in the middle too, and build
microwave rings.

I don't see how this could work with any of the canned mesh
solutions.  Most, like SkyPilot, only mesh at 5.8 Ghz, and there are
some paths that are just too woody for that to work.  Some of the
subscriber access sites may need 900 too.  I think each RF path and
local-coverage cell will have to be engineered to local conditions.

What looks to be the most flexible approach might be to use the
MicroTik Routerboard multi-radio mPCI systems.  Then we can use
off-the-shelf 5.8 GHz cards and PtP antennas for the clear paths, and
plug in the Ubiquiti XR9 or similar high-power 900 radio for tree
blasting.  User access would probably be sectorized at whatever band works.

MicroTik says they have a meshing protocol, HWMPplus, that provides
Layer 2 (this is critical; we're not building a Layer 3 network, and
with this many hops, latency and loss are critical) dynamic meshing,
essentially applying a routing protocol (smarter than bridge STPs)
among nodes.  I can't find any documentation for it on line, though,
and a distributor I've been talking to has never tried or sold
it.  So does anyone on the list have any experience with the HWMPplus
mesh?  Or any other suggestions?  Thanks!

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/

----