That's actually pretty normal under RUS grants and loans Scottie.

THEY will only loan to one company in one area.

YOU can still build your business in any way you choose, just not with RUS
money.

Yeah, it sucks.  I've lived with that in some of my areas for a long time.

The great news here is that the telco is still the telco and people still
hate them.  AND the consumer is still ditching land lines in favor of
wireless technologies of all kinds (sat. TV, cell phone, wireless broadband
etc.).

It is a GREAT time to be alive in the WISP industry!  We're still growing,
our profitability is up (though that's going to change soon as I have to
hire another person sometime in the next year or two....) etc.  AND, with
the rollups of so many smaller telco's the service from the big companies
has REALLY dropped off.  Driving more and more customers in my direction.

Life is different now, but it's not all bad.  Did you notice the string in
funding that says that they HAVE to sell to you at competitive rates?  big
grin  The silver lining here might include cheaper upstream connectivity for
you.

Time will tell....
marlon