We had all sorts of lightning issues at our primary tower 15 years
ago.  Here's what fixed it:

What we did was put a ground ring around the tower, and another ring
around the building connected to that ring.  150 ground rods
interconnected with #2 solid copper cad welded to the rods.  Each leg
of the tower is cadwelded with #2 sold and that is cadwelded to the
tower ring.
>From that ring, we bring in #2 awg 'stingers', or connections into the
building that the equipment gets grounded to.  Rack, Routers,
everything.  Avoid ground loops.

I would also recommend lightning dissapators that discharge the ion
field before the strike ever happens.  A ground rod with it's own #2
from the top of the tower should also get connected to the ring.

Shielded ethernet cables everywhere since the emf from the lightning
couples into the high impedance line and fries ports.

APC UPS's on all AC, TrippLite IsoBar surge protectors or TrippLite
PDUs on all AC connections.

All radio cables coming from outside are shielded and grounded.  All
those go to grounded surge protectors.   All RF cables have grounded
polyphaser surge protectors (these rock).

Knock on wood, not an issue since then (10+ years).

Marco Coelho
Argon Technologies Inc.