I'm doing some path loss estimates in RadioMobile.  Mainly 5.8 GHz stuff.

I have a place where I'd like to run a point-to-multipoint sector as
an injection feed to multiple APs in the mesh.  This would need to
run AirMax or Nstreme or NV2 in order to manage the traffic, but that
part seems easy enough.  If I don't use NV2 and claim the SkyPilot
rule, then my ERP is capped at +36 dBm.  (So I'm kind of marginal on
path loss already.)  I can use a 20 dB sector antenna (AM2-60), whose
footprint covers all of the APs I'd like to reach, up to 22
kilometers away.  The APs are set to have 24 dB panel antennas.  So
they can run "point to point" ERP upstream, to the extent that it
helps the fade margin in that direction.  BTW the paths are mostly
over water, but elevated by more than 2-3 Fresnel zones.

Now here's the weird part.  In RadioMobile, when I adjust the PtMP
end's height in half-meter increments, path loss jumps all over the
place.  To one destination 18.5 km away:
At 7 meters, 134.5 dB.  At 7.5 meters, 144.7 dB.  At 8 meters, 139.3
dB.  At 8.5 meters, 134.4 dB.  At 10 meters, 137.0 dB.

Now to a different destination only 12.5 km away (the closest one), I get:
At 7 meters, 137.4 dB.  At 7.5 meters, 150.7 dB.  At 8 meters, 132.2
dB.  At 8.5 meters, 131.7 dB.  At 10 meters, 136.5 dB.

Well, the obvious answer so far might be to avoid the 7.5 meter
height, but now going to a third destination 16.8 kilometers away, I get:
At 7 meters, 141.6 dB.  At 7.5 meters, 134.3 dB.  At 8 meters, 136.6
dB.  At 8.5 meters, 139.5 dB.  At 10 meters, 151.9 dB.

So there's no height that makes everyone happy, and that assumes I
actually get a choice of height.  Most likely it goes on the power
pole wherever they let us attach it.  And tweaking the remote ends
doesn't make that much difference at all.

So here's the question.  Is this type of variation likely to exist in
the real world, or is this just RadioMobile's propagation model being
overly sensitive? Thanks!

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/