At 9/3/2010 12:06 PM, MDK wrote:
I find it disturbing that almost no public discussion of this is going on. Is this a matter where we think that the imposition will have little or no effect on us, or do we expect to simply ignore it, or is everyone just confident it won't happen?

ISPs are notoriously individualistic. WISPA is doing a great service by herding the cats, to the extent possible, but the Bells are the ones with the real lobby power, and the subsidized RLECs always manage to come out ahead. It has always been understood that "the Internet" is not regulated; telecom is, but WISPs are usually Part 15 and stay away from that too. So when there's a real push to regulate The Internet, essentially because the public has a rational fear of the excessive power that the Bells have already won, small ISPs can be caught blind-sided.

There's a lot going on, on many fronts, economic and social and governmental, and our collective future appears headed not just for us having loss on an individual basis, but full national currency and economic collapse. You'd think the public list would get mention of at least the FCC actions and planning to coordinate resistance - along with how it will affect everyone, be they WISPA centric or not.

You shouldn't confuse bigger macroeconomic issues with small regulatory ones. The economy, for all intents and purposes, collapsed in the summer of 2008. The currency, however, is extremely strong, for the simple reason that the effective supply of money is what really collapsed, and the government's regulated portion of the money supply, currency, is what's keeping things afloat. This is not intuitively obvious so you have what looks to me like a hell of a lot of demagoguery by politicians trying to worsen the depression in order to pin the blame on the President. I don't want this mailing list to get off course so let's leave it at that.

However, the ILECs are so powerful that they are practically like the vandals who steal the wires and plumbing out of houses. They get a few hundred dollars of scrap but the repairs cost many thousands. Bells have their power and control protected at all costs, regardless of the collateral damage. "Network neutrality" is a feel-good nostrum. It was spurred when Verizon got the FCC to end the Computer II rules that had made the public Internet possible, and when Big Ed of SBC opened his mouth too wide and expressed in public what they had been planning. Some pR0n distributors got hold of the idea and took control of the agenda. Real ISPs were, as usual, caught in the crossfire, having been left for dead years ago.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Neofast, Inc, Making internet easy
541-969-8200  509-386-4589
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From: <mailto:fgoldst...@ionary.com>Fred Goldstein
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:43 PM
To: <mailto:wireless@wispa.org>WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Net Neutrality statement from Genakowski

At 9/2/2010 05:59 PM, you wrote:
How, uhh.. .do they propose to ban doing this?

By permitting "specialized services" (anything other than a bog-neutral wide open Internet service) only under limited conditions. Among them are these proposals, from the new Further Inquiry:

(E) Limit Specialized Service Offerings: Allow broadband providers to offer only a limited set of new specialized services, with functionality that cannot be provided via broadband Internet access service, such as a telemedicine application that requires enhanced quality of service.19

(F) Guaranteed Capacity for Broadband Internet Access Service: Require broadband providers to continue providing or expanding network capacity allocated to broadband Internet access service, regardless of any specialized services they choose to offer. Relatedly, prohibit specialized services from inhibiting the performance of broadband Internet access services at any given time, including during periods of peak usage.20

<end quote>

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/