I use a canvas bag!

One that the belt on the safety harness can go through to hold it onto my
back.  I also have a zippered canvas bag that I strap on as well.  (Keep the
drinks in  that one!)

But....  I love the big orange 5 gallon buckets for serious hauling things
up.  I just make sure the drill or whatever is the heaviest is in the bottom
of the bucket because, as you say, it will tip over on the way up.

I've never lost anything on the way up.  My problem was dropping stuff
before I learned to put a rope on every wrench or whatever!

I've seen some soft sided bags that are of a thicker canvas and have a rigid
plastic bottom.  They look pretty sturdy.  I'd hate to have something not
soft sided strapped to me while negotiating the transition the ladder makes
2/3rds up a 300 foot self-supporter.  I bang my head enough on that, don't
need to be snagged with a plastic bucket.

Me-